Thursday, February 22, 2018, 1-4pm
LIVE PERFORMANCE INTENSIVE FOR SOLO ARTISTS AND BANDS
Vicki Ambinder, Music Performance Coach
How can you take your act to the next artistic level? How can you become more dynamic and confident onstage? How can you make a deeper connection with your material, and with your audience?
This intensive, conducted in a master class format, will focus on key elements of effective and compelling live music performance. Participants will be given the opportunity to perform a song and receive in-depth, supportive, practical, individualized, on-the-spot performance coaching.
This class is geared towards performers with intermediate to advanced skills. Participating acts must perform their own musical accompaniment. Dressing as you would for a show is recommended, but not required.
Bring your instruments and a song to present, or come to observe the process and participate in class discussions. Either way, you will leave with many tools you can apply to your own artistic endeavors.
Topics to be addressed during coaching demonstrations and discussions include, among others:
- Honing your stage presence and owning the stage
- Connecting with the mission of the song through deep exploration and interpretation
- Maximizing the use of intentional arrangements and dynamics
- Fully embracing the role of front person
- Cultivating band cohesion
- Defining your own sound
- Designing stage patter that will assist you as well as the audience
- Using preparation to channel nerves productively
- Freshening your staging and stage plotting
- Finding and maintaining focus, and being in the moment
Note: This intensive will be the only opportunity to experience Vicki’s master class at Wintergrass 2018, as it will not be offered during the regular festival workshop schedule.
Vicki Ambinder is a Music Performance Coach and Artistic Consultant. In person and by Skype/FaceTime, Vicki helps musicians and bands across the U.S. and in Canada to improve and enhance their live and studio performing skills and to work toward their artistic goals. She is also a CD preproduction consultant and vocal tracks producer for independent and self-producing recording artists. On her website, VickiAmbinder.com, she posts her in-depth conversations about performance with such artists as Sarah Jarosz, Tim O’Brien, Mike Marshall, Travis Book, and Sam Bush.